China 062

Thursday, June 22, 2006

June s22

June 22, ‘06

Made Chinese knots. The only thing I remember making in summer recreation programs is a lanyard. Cut outs go back to Tang Dynasty, ca 7th C. The knots go back much further and were found in the earliest of the archeological sites. I have another, expensive present, made by a very famous Chinese folk artist for Susan.

Temple of Heaven. Zipped through it, but got some pictures of our group on the spot where the emperor made his reports to heaven.

Hongqiao Market. Across the way from the Temple of Heaven. A five or six storey building filled with tourist items. Most people bought something. Negotiations were successful. I tried to get a kid’s panda T shirt for Gus but remembered he didn’t like a tight fit over the head. I was one of the only ones not to have purchased anything there. One of our girls came back with tea sets, purses, and all sorts of things saying, “I love this country.” At the zoo yesterday she bought a large plush turtle. I wonder how some of them will get their trove back. Many did buy suitcases, so they have it figured out. Others have bought musical instruments, tea sets, geomancer’s compasses, abaci, King-size bedspreads, wall hangings, and assorted geegaws.

Encountered finally for dinner items like duck liver, sea cucumber, a variety of duck innards, scallops, a sea fish (in contrast to freshwater fish), boned duck feet.

Internet was down at the university. It is presumably up but I am still not able to access it, so I cannot even receive email. Caleb’s is not working either.

1 Comments:

Blogger barbara.j.knight@gmail.com said...

Henry - I believe your expensive presents will be greatly appreciated. I hope the weather has been kind to you. You may have to purchase several more suitcases. I mail things to myself when I am out and about (if I don't want to carry it back home).
Since you are able to write your blogs maybe you could also access your email via the web at http://mail.etsu.edu - then sign in with your username and password. Or start a hotmail or gmail account. Just a thought...take care...

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home